The country’s top court just handed Donald Trump another big defeat, and there’s no place left for him to escape, says a legal expert.
On Monday, the Supreme Court refused Trump’s last attempt to re-examine his case against writer E.
Jean Carroll, confirming a jury’s decision that he sexually assaulted her in a Bergdorf Goodman store in the mid-1990s and then insulted her by calling her a liar.The court’s decision was just one sentence with no explanation and no disagreements from the justices.They had already turned down his request earlier this year.He asked them to reconsider, but they said no again.
Joyce Vance, a former federal prosecutor, wrote in a new Substack piece that Trump knew he wouldn’t win his case against Carroll.
Still, this loss offers a chance to correct the mistakes done to her, she said.
“The Court has done that, and it’s really over now,” Vance wrote.
“The money is hers.More importantly for Carroll, the jury’s decision that Trump sexually assaulted her and then insulted her by calling her a liar is confirmed.For all time.A jury in a civil case found that Trump assaulted Carroll, even if society wasn’t ready back then for her to report it without ruining her career as a writer and her financial future.”
She also pointed out a bitter irony in Trump’s effort to throw out the judgment.
“It’s ironic, that bit,” Vance wrote.
“At trial, Trump’s lawyers, including the current U.S.Attorney General, Todd Blanche, said she wasn’t believable because she didn’t speak up right away.Even though she told two friends, who testified, about it when it happened.Carroll lost her long-time job as an advice columnist at Elle Magazine after the book came out.Her contract ended, and she was fired.They said it wasn’t about Trump, but none of us are naive anymore.We remember catch and kill.”
